Sunday, December 11, 2016



Fitting the Pieces Together

Learning View Change

Upon review of the learning resources and after completing my Learning Theory Matrix, I find that my response holds true from Week 1.  Constructivism is my preferred method of learning, which aligns with Adult Learning Theory.  I enjoy and excel in project-based, self-directed, experiential and action learning (Conlan, Grabowski, & Smith, 2003, p. 4-9).  The variations associated with the reality, knowledge, and learning as a Social Constructor (Kim, 2001, p. 2) starts my engine.  But I would be remised if I didn’t acknowledge that I’m also a Connectivist.  I thrive in environments where decisions are made during the chaos and I demonstrate a willingness to change my mind based on new information (Davis, Edmunds, & Kelly-Bateman, 2008, p. 2).  I appreciate challenges that line up with my talents and skills.

 

Personal Learning Preferences

After adopting the idea that learning style identification is not a good thing and that our intelligences are more relevant to personal learning, I’m apprehensive, but optimistic about my learning future.  I have been able to learn using various senses but found my intelligences lacking in some areas, such as mathematics.   Most enlightening for me was that I discovered that I have a high “Intrapersonal Intelligence’ which explains why “I care…but not that much,” what others think about me (Armstrong, 2009, p. 7).  I will continue to leverage the multiple intelligences lessons long after this course is over.

 

Technology Role

As I attempt to wrap my mind around the complex and chaotic learning domain, the associated technology has blown me away.  As a trainer and performance improvement professional, it is critical that I understand the technological applications, hardware, and design principles to meet customer needs, to include understanding how to engage online learners as described by Lim in her Tech Trends article (Lim, 2004, p. 21).  I conclude by stating that technology is the glue that holds the learner, the learner characteristics, and the instructional design together, but I’m cognizant of the fact that not all technology facilitates effective learning.

 

References






 

No comments:

Post a Comment