Saturday, December 17, 2016


Reflection:  Learning Theory and Instruction

As a corporate training delivery professional and military training manager, I thought I had an understanding of my career field, but I was wrong.  Fortunately, I took the advice of my professor for my Workforce Education and Development professor.  She told me that I should pursue a master’s degree in instructional design and technology, but didn’t explain why. I’m glad that I heeded her council.

Learning Knowledge Epiphany

            My professor knew that instructional design and technology was the perfect capstone to prepare me for my future as a training and performance improvement professional.  After wading through the course materials associated with how people acquire knowledge, I was surprised to find that learning theory was so complicated and that no one theory was entirely correct as stated by Ormrod and associates Ormrod, Schunk, & Gredler, 2009).  It appears as if learning theorist are in a perpetual “do loop” reaching back to the times of Greek philosophers Plato and Socrates. 

Learning Personal Growth

            I have admitted that I felt ignorant about learning theory, but I was also lacking in understanding my personal learning process.  I found out that learning styles are not essential to knowledge acquisition and when instructing, I should focus on learning strategies that use multiple methods to teach the same information (Laureate Educations, n.d.).  I also learned about multiple intelligences and that my intrapersonal and interpersonal intelligences are dominant as articulated by Gardner (Gardner, 2013).  As a result of this lesson, I understand why some people don’t like me, while others love me, and the fact that I care but not so much.  My view of my personal learning preferences changed thanks to Gardner and Ormrod and I will stir away from the learning style focus.

 

Learning Component Linkages

Learning is dynamic, and the instructional design is the glue that brings learning theories, learner characteristics, educational technology, instructor delivery, and student motivation together.  The instructional designer must be able to draw information from various sources, plan instruction strategy, develop course materials, evaluate the project continuously, be cost conscious, monitor advances in technology, and create engaging learning opportunities for students in classrooms and online.  “Instructional design has not reached the level of scientific exactness” according to Morrison and Associates (Morrison, Ross, Kalman, & Kemp, 2013, p. 12).  As a result, I am an “artist,” and my job is to connect the elements of instructional design together to meet the individual needs of teachers and learners in circular ways as depicted in the graphic.

Learning Career Enhancement

            As a trainer and performance improvement professional, this course helped me realize the benefits associated with technology and learning.  What I learned will allow me to deliver my message to the masses without leaving my home.  I have been inspired to be a stand out in the crowd by delivering my message in dynamic ways, much like Prince Ea. (Ea, 2016) in his video “The People vs. The School System ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqTTojTija8 ).”  It may not be scholarly, but it seems appropriate to conclude with…. AMEN!



References






 

No comments:

Post a Comment